National Ovarian Cancer Association
The Canadian ReDesigners Association has partnered with the Ovarian Cancer Canada (OCC) to ensure that women currently in treatment for ovarian cancer have a comfortable and harmonious room in their home in which to focus on recovery. ReDesigners across Canada are volunteering their time, talents and skills to create such "havens". Together we can raise awareness of the disease that has whispered for far too long.
See the video that explains the program HERE
If you are, or know of, a woman undergoing treatment, and would like more information please contact me.
The Right Home Can Heal You
I know it seems a bit far-fetched. Shouldn’t we be taking antibiotics, medicine, and vitamins for better health? However, more and more research is leaning toward the healing effects of a functional home where you are surrounded by things you love highlighted in a beautiful way. A warm, comfortable home where we feel at ease reduces stress, which helps our natural immune system fight disease.
Let’s look at some of the things that cause us stress in our home:
• A home that doesn’t work functionally. We don’t have a spot to do our crafts; we constantly have to move everything from one room to another to find a place to do something; there isn’t a place to comfortably fold the laundry; we don’t have enough storage space.
• A home that’s not balanced or doesn’t flow – we just don’t feel good in rooms where the visual weight of things isn’t balanced, or where we are blocked by furniture.
• A home where we constantly look at things we dislike (examples are gifts and inherited possessions that we keep and display because they’re expensive, but they don’t bring us any joy.)
• A home that’s filled with clutter. Think of the stress when you can’t find what you want at a moment’s notice? Or when you constantly have to sort through a pile of clutter to find something, then finally go out and buy a new one because you can’t find the old one?
• A home where there’s work to be done. Every time you look around, you see that window that has to be replaced, the door falling off the hinges, the wall that has to be repainted.
By contrast imagine coming home and getting a little lift when you go through the door. Imagine just looking around your rooms and loving your home. Imagine feeling relaxed and comfortable in your home; and imagine the joy of finding whatever you want at a moment’s notice and easily being able to do the tasks you need to do in your home.
It’s time to get our health back by having a home we love. We deserve it.
Interior redesigners help you create that home you love using your existing furnishings. It’s not decorating. It’s creating a home that is functional, warm and inviting and fills your heart with love.
Val Sharp, founder, Canadian Redesigners Association